It’s October and children have started making plans as to what they are going to do this Halloween. Your child must be eagerly waiting for the last day of this month because that’s when he/she can go out with other children dressed up in colourful costumes for trick-or-treat. Have you checked what your child will wear this Halloween? If not, then you must find something great for your little one. It will be better if you can take the opinion of the kid because after all, he/she has to wear the dress, and if he/she doesn’t like the dress, then what’s the use of buying it.
Clothes are not the only thing that you have to pay attention to, but the food as well. Children are often allergic to certain food items, and with peanuts, dairy products and other food items present in the list of foods that people give to kids, it may trigger the allergy. Nuts are one of the most common food items that kids are allergic to, let it be peanuts or tree nuts, so you have to keep in mind that all such food items must not be present in the bag of your child, let alone the plate. If you plan creatively, then you can ensure a great Halloween for your child despite his/her allergies. You just need to keep away those food items that can cause allergy.
Here are some basic food allergy safety rules to keep in mind:
- Check the ingredient label of every piece of candy that your child has. It doesn’t matter if it is the usual brand that your child eats, you need to check the ingredients.
- Allergy statements can be different on the candy bars made by the same brand because of the difference in the size of the bar.
- You should not let your child eat a candy bar that has got no label on it, as that will be unsafe for him/her. You can eat that candy if you are not allergic to any food item.
- If your child is taking any medication to control or permanently eradicate an allergy, then make sure that the medicine should always be with him/her.
- If your child is too sensitive to the food items that give him/her allergy, then put some hand wipes in his/her bag or pocket, which he/she can use in case of accidental contact with that food item.
What to do at the time of trick-or-treating?
- Don’t let your child eat candies, instead get a beautiful gift in exchange for the candy bag.
- You should not accompany your child while he/she is out with friends. Taking his/her bag and checking the ingredient label is just not right. Instead, you can educate your child not to eat candies outside. Bring the bag home and then, you can have them after checking the label.
- You should also give non-food items to other kids because one of the children in the group may also be allergic to your kid.
- Educate your child to say ‘No, thank you’ in case he/she is offered a candy, which he/she is allergic to.
Have your own Halloween traditions:
- You can organize a party at your own house and offer the snacks that you think are safe for your child. Let the control of the food be in your hands.
- It is not just the food, which is important at Halloweens, but there are many other ways to have fun such as, making a trip to museums, theme parks and zoos, etc.
- You can talk to your neighbours and plan something out on Halloween. A party or a small get-together. Your kid will play with their kids, and the food is again in your control.
Allergies don’t go away that easily, and in kids, the impact of allergies is a lot more than in adults. So, it is better to have the control in your hands, especially when it comes to food. By doing this, you will ensure a joyous and exciting Halloween for your child.
Why Diana Daycare in Newmarket?
Diana Daycare in Newmarket is considered by many to be the top home Daycare in Newmarket. We offer CCTV (Closed Circuit TV monitoring ) for the entire facility, home-made food and a big NO to junk food as well as no pets and a focus on providing a strong Ontario curriculum.
When children graduate from Diana Daycare in Newmarket, they are prepared for school: they are able to read and write and are completely ready to be integrated into their first grade in school.
That’s why all students from Diana Daycare are always a step ahead compared to the other kids who join their first grade in school.